August 1, 2013

pay it forward

Right after we moved to Arizona I was having a hard time getting settled. The weather was starting to warm up and that is one of the most painful parts of living here. I didn't want to cook and David wasn't going to be home from work in time for dinner so I decided to take the boys to Chipotle (or "the chip place" as William calls it). It's our happy place.
As soon as I got in line, William started asking for a drink and if you know Will and his determined spirit, you know that this involves a constant stream of "I want a drink" until the drink is produced. We had to wait to order the drink though and he wasn't excited about that. Then Fritz started running up and down the line and even though he's cute and friendly, some people don't appreciate this so I was trying to wrangle him, order our food, deal with William's whining and still try to be calm and collected since were in public and all.

There was a man in line in front of me. He was probably in his mid to late 40s and was very patient with my predicament. He didn't make a big deal  or say one of those obnoxious phrases like, "Boy, you've sure got your hands full!" (because, duh). He paid for his food and grabbed his "to-go" bag and stood off to the side while I paid for my food. As soon as I reached for my tray (and two kids + a purse, mind you) he swooped in and quietly said, "Let me carry that for you." I was so grateful and we walked into a very full dining room. Fritz was having a melt-down at this point and William was trying to grab his apple juice off the tray. Every table was taken and not one person looked like they were going to be leaving soon. Our only option was eating outside in 100+ degree weather in the sun.

We walked out to the patio and found a table but it wasn't shaded. So the nice man put the tray on the table and said, "I'll be right back with a high chair" and promptly returned with a high chair and an umbrella so we wouldn't have to bake in the sun. He filled up my water cup and got all our utensils and napkins while I put Fritz in the high chair and got Will situated. Then he simply asked, "Do you need anything else?" I profusely thanked him and he grabbed his food and left. I spent the entire meal thinking about what an amazing guy I had just met. It may seem like a simple thing and maybe he didn't even realize the impact he made on me, but I thought about how I need to teach my boys to look for people to serve instead of being oblivious to someone in need. He had been taught well by someone and it gave me so much hope and reminded me that I, too, should be looking for opportunities to help others.

My brother, Peter, told me an awesome idea a couple of years ago. Whenever I see a homeless person asking for money on the side of the road, I prefer to give them something other than cash. I've heard of people carrying non-perishable food items or bottles of water in their car but it's so hot in Arizona that they usually go bad or I usually I forget I have them. My brother suggested that I start carrying around some $5 or $10 gift cards to fast food chains. I keep them in my wallet and always have them accessible when I'm at a red light (rather than searching for a bottle of water in the back seat or even the trunk). They won't go bad and don't take up hardly any room. Isn't that genius? Let's all try to be more helpful to each other and teach our children to be kinder, more aware of others' needs and learn how to work hard to help others. It's a good lesson for us all.

10 comments:

  1. I really, really, REALLY love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful young man to help you. I love paying it forward. Enjoy your time at the Ranch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a visiting teaching conference a few months ago and had some extra bag lunches and was on my way to visit a sick friend in the ward after church. I was at a red light and a homeless man was right there so I handed him two lunches and he had a big smile. Lucky him -- they were chicken sandwiches on croissants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a simple yet loving post Elizabeth it made me cry...Donna from Massachusetts (Canton)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea! I am downtown all of the time for work and always see the bucket boys or homeless asking for donations. I will definitely get some gift cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story more and more every time I hear it! I was just telling Jenniline your story the other day when she was telling me how rude people are in her new town. I wanna kiss that guy! Very inspiring my Dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't help but think about when Zane asked you to stop the car at Target so you guys could help that lady with her bags. You're raising the boys who become these kind of men.

      Delete
    2. Awww, thanks Love! That was a mom butter moment for sure. He actually got to tell that story for "Child of God moment", in primary. Except somehow he made the story comical. Classic Zane.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I visited a church last weekend that had gift bags stuffed with non-perishable food for people to take after service and hand out to the homeless. So wonderful.

    By the way, I make your cowboy caviar for just about every get together and everyone LOVES it!! Your blog and your family are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.