February 15, 2013

the best buttermilk pancakes

Pancakes are one of my favorite foods, which is apparently news to my husband. We were having a conversation the other day about what our top ten favorite foods are and it was pretty hard to narrow it down. I think I decided on pancakes, hamburgers, salmon tacos, bean and cheese burritos, chocolate chip cookies, berries, cinnamon rolls from Con Pane, and probably the ricotta stuffed squash blossoms at Cucina Urbana. I could happily only eat those for the rest of my life. Anyway, pancakes are definitely on that running list and I usually make these whole wheat banana pancakes for a healthier option (and they're also really delicious) but sometimes, I just crave the naughty buttermilk kind. So, here's my favorite recipe. I don't remember where I got it because I've had this recipe saved for many years - it's a keeper.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 cups buttermilk*
Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a large measuring cup (or bowl), whisk together buttermilk, eggs and butter. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk mixture. Whisk gently until well incorporated  Cook on a skillet over medium heat using 1 teaspoon butter/oil and a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side. Makes 16 pancakes.

*I often don't have buttermilk so I substitute for 2 cups milk + 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar - just let it sit for about 5 - 10 minutes before using.

4 comments:

  1. I just made these tonight for dinner. My kids gobbled them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best pancakes ever!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My batter was very thick and I panicked and added milk. Is it supposed to be so thick? Where did I go wrong? The one thick one I made tasted really good, but it took forever to cook because of thick it was. I feel like such a failure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My batter came out super thick, and I panicked and added some milk. Where did I go wrong, or is the batter supposed to be that thick, like a brownie batter almost? The one pancake I did make with the thick batter tasted really good, but it took forever to cook. Please help; I feel like such a pancake-failure, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.