Monday, March 19, 2012

white slipcover

I mentioned last week that I had been working on a slipcover for my chair. If you need help with cushion covers (which are often the hardest part and are the most noticeable) I have a tutorial here that I posted when I did recovered the chair the last time.
It took me several days to complete, mostly because I didn't really have a plan and I also have a two-year-old who watched way too much TV while his mother neglected him (and all my other chores) for about a week. Like I said, I didn't follow a tutorial or a pattern so I basically just took pieces of scrap fabric that I had lying around and laid them on top of the chair in pieces. Then I cut each piece to fit (leaving lots of extra room for tucking and a seam allowance) and laid them wrong side up and pinned the pieces together. Once they were pinned, I basted all the pieces together and then turned it right side out and tried it on. It looked really ugly with all my mismatched scrap fabrics but I knew it was going to be all right. This may have been an extra step but I didn't want to risk wasting any fabric by cutting it wrong.

Once I was sure that the pieces would work, I marked each part and then laid it on top of my white fabric and cut it out, making sure to fold the scrap fabric pattern with the real piece so I knew which piece was which. Then I pinned it onto the chair again (wrong side up) and basted it again. I sewed it all together and tried it on. It looked pretty good and I was feeling more confident. Yay! Note: I only included piping on the cushions and around the arm fronts and the top edge of the skirt.

Then, I started on the skirt. I basically just measured each side of the chair as well as the length I wanted the skirt to be (leaving room for the piping and a seam allowance) and cut out four pieces to go all the way around. Then I cut small squares to go behind each piece where they meet so you wouldn't be able to see the legs. I sewed on the piping and then all the pieces together. Then I turned the slipcover inside out again and pinned on the skirt and sewed it together. Then I was done!

Here's the deal. Slipcovers are harder than upholstering but since this was going in my nursery and I was doing it in white I knew I wanted to be able to wash it. I don't claim that making slipcovers is easy (I cried many times) but it's certainly not all that difficult if you have some basic sewing skills (and access to YouTube). It was a good experience for me and saved me several hundred dollars so I'm happy!

P.S. The nursery is essentially done but I have a few finishing touches I'd like to make before sharing the pictures. I will soon!

7 comments :

  1. I love your crib! Can you share where you purchased it? (And also, did you remove the unsightly wheels that seem to accompany all Jenny Lind cribs? Do share!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I’m going to die! This is all too cute!!! Quit torturing us already, I want to see pics of the whole room!! I’m kind of ecstatic to see that my painting will coordinate so well! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodness, Elizabeth! That looks fantastic! You are amazing. The tip about making the slipcover first out of scraps is a wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting that overstock ottoman for ages... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks straight off of pinterest! You are amazing! Looks fabulous! I love the rug too! I have been wanting to get a fun rug for my boys rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cheery and inviting space. That rocker looks amazing. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment on my blog - but please remember "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".