I mentioned last week that I had been working on a slipcover for my chair. If you need help with cushion covers (which are often the hardest part and are the most noticeable) I have a tutorial here that I posted when I did recovered the chair the last time.
Once I was sure that the pieces would work, I marked each part and then laid it on top of my white fabric and cut it out, making sure to fold the scrap fabric pattern with the real piece so I knew which piece was which. Then I pinned it onto the chair again (wrong side up) and basted it again. I sewed it all together and tried it on. It looked pretty good and I was feeling more confident. Yay! Note: I only included piping on the cushions and around the arm fronts and the top edge of the skirt.
Then, I started on the skirt. I basically just measured each side of the chair as well as the length I wanted the skirt to be (leaving room for the piping and a seam allowance) and cut out four pieces to go all the way around. Then I cut small squares to go behind each piece where they meet so you wouldn't be able to see the legs. I sewed on the piping and then all the pieces together. Then I turned the slipcover inside out again and pinned on the skirt and sewed it together. Then I was done!
Here's the deal. Slipcovers are harder than upholstering but since this was going in my nursery and I was doing it in white I knew I wanted to be able to wash it. I don't claim that making slipcovers is easy (I cried many times) but it's certainly not all that difficult if you have some basic sewing skills (and access to YouTube). It was a good experience for me and saved me several hundred dollars so I'm happy!
P.S. The nursery is essentially done but I have a few finishing touches I'd like to make before sharing the pictures. I will soon!