July 20, 2010

firsts: injury

We had our first injury last week. It was incredibly sad and I felt like a horrible mother . . . yet somehow had the presence of mind to grab my camera. What can I say? Photography is such a great way to capture important milestones.

I neglected the housework all week since we were playing with my sister and her family at the beach almost every day so I had a lot of chores to do. William was roaming around the living space, picking up little pieces of whatever was on the floor from my lack of vaccuming and practicing his new trick of climbing on top of whatever he can reach (i.e. an ice chest, his toy box, a dining chair, the ottoman, a soda box, etc.)

Eventually he made his way over to the piano and since I hadn't been paying him much attention, I walked over and pulled out the Big Yellow Songbook and started to play as he contently gnawed on the corner of the piano bench. Halfway through "Pitter Pat" he started to wail and I assumed he hit his gums too hard on the piano bench corner. After a few seconds of comforting, I plopped him on my lap and we continued to play the song . . . but then the blood started dripping onto my hands and that's when I flipped. I rushed him to the kitchen sink and frantically called my mom while trying to get a clear view of what was making my little baby gush. I saw that his two perfect bottom teeth were now "snaggle teeth".

My mom instructed me to get a wet towel and gently try to press the teeth back to their correct position. Anyway, long story short (and about a million kisses later followed by some heavy duty snuggling and nursing) he is perfectly fine. I know you've got to just let your babies learn the hard way sometimes and I'm actually really good about letting him fall and pick himself back up, but boy does it hurt when they hurt!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad! I can't wait to give him a squeeze and kiss his fat cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby! Amazing that he made it this long without a big injury...boys are adventerous for sure. Sometimes I don't know who it hurts more-mommy or baby :) Glad he is ok...he is even cute with blood on his face. I just wanted to snuggle him myself when I saw that picture of the bleeding. Mother's instinct is always to snuggle :) Also you are so far from being a bad mom, William is so blessed to call you his mommy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH...poor little goober and poor little mama...but you did good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor little guy!! And poor mama! I know your heart was hurting!

    (Wait until one of the injuries is 100% your fault. Sigh. Heartbreaking)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor sweet William! Glad he's okay and that you were able to save his teeth. Before Lincoln's teeth grew in Shawn would tease about making him baby dentures. Lucky for him his teeth came in just in time.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy! I'm so glad he's okay! It was great seeing you two the other day at the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I popped over from YHL to see the headboard, but I sure appreciate the baby fix! What a little yumster!w

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.