Saturday, April 04, 2009

baby cakes

we had a baby shower for one of my co-workers. actually, I lied. we had a bridal shower for two of my co-workers since they are married, work in the same department and are having their first baby - a girl.

I made this cake and it was delicious, although at midnight on thursday, I remembered why I don't do this kind of thing very often anymore. it was good practice for me to work on my royal icing consistency, steady hand-piping with certain tips and general frosting smoothing . . . that's where I need the most work. aren't conference rooms so pretty and glamorous for such occasions?

in any case, here's the best chocolate cake I know of. my lovely sister-in-law has been searching for the perfect chocolate cake. I feel like I need to remind her of this one since it's my favorite. alas, I don't reside in utah. maybe I can convince rookie cookie to take it to her since her recent relocation to wasatch country . . .

perfect chocolate cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups cold water

sift together dry ingredients. add wet ingredients and mix well until slightly fluffy. spray two 8 inch round pans and evenly divide the batter in each. cut through batter with a knife to release air bubbles. bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (very important as this cake is already super moist - you want it to be thoroughly done). let cool entirely before frosting.

chocolate cream cheese frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup cocoa
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

cream butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until soft. add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.

7 comments :

  1. super cute.
    looks super yummy.
    you are super talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake is beautiful!! Thanks for the recipe - it looks delish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty, Liz!
    ...and it sounds just as delicious!

    Your co-workers are so lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be able to oblige- because I am just that rad.

    E-mail me. whitney_leigh_ingram@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this cake! Thanks for the recipe. Do you mind if I post it on my blog and link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is so cute. And thanks for posting the recipes. I am definitely going to try them. I do have a question about the mayonaise though. Is it the real kind or the miracly whip kind? I am guessing real but just want to be sure.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lauren - yes, real real REAL! the reason for that is, mayonnaise contains eggs which is what this recipe is lacking. it takes the place of that.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment on my blog - but please remember "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".